First published Dec 2014
Last Updated 24 May 2019
Capoeira Reading List
I’m compiling a list of Capoeira books & papers, I’ll update this page with books/papers I have read.
* The Little Capoeira Book – Nestor Capoeira
* Capoeira: Roots of the Dance-Fight-Game – Nestor Capoeira. I read this after ‘The Little Capoeira Book’. There’s a third book written by him as part of the trilogy but I can’t find it at an affordable price…
* Capoeira A Brazilian Art Form – Bira de Almeida (Mestre Acordeon)
* A negregada instituição – Os Capoeiras no Rio de Janeiro 1850-1890 – Carlos Eugenio Libano Soares.
* Capoeira and Candomble – Floyd Merrell
* Mysticism in Capoeira – amongst other things, explains the meaning of various capoeira songs. I don’t know who wrote this originally, but it was translated to English by Shayna McHugh, 2005
* A Roda do mundo Post-graduate social anthropology paper – Celso de Brito (2010)
* Capoeira, a philosophy of the body extract by Camille Marc Dumoulié
* É preta Kalungá – A Capoeira Angola como Prática da Política entre os Angoleiros Baianos – Anos 80-90 – Rosangêla Costa Araújo (Mestra Janja) – (Fundação Gregório de Mattos)
* Vivências e fundamentos de um mestre de capoeira – Mestre Brasilia (Editora Matrix)
* Historia, Cantoria e versos – Mestre Roxinho
* As Asas do Mestre – Mestre Ousado
* Capoeira: The Essential Guide to Mastering the Art – Ponciano Almeida
* Capoeira 100: An Illustrated Guide to the Essential Movements and Techniques (one of my first books, but I never actually did the practice within it, good for beginners, but it seems to have gone up in price too much since I bought it)
* The Capoeira Guidebook: Investigations into the Culture, History, and Philosophy of the Afro-Brazilian Art, Evan Wedsworth – a concise guide in English that gives a good overview of Capoeira and its history.
* Digital archive in Portuguese: Capoeira Nomade Acervo Digital
* Not a book, but a must read! CapoeiraGens – Capoeira Genealogy tree of well known mestres. Mestre’s Poncianinho’s