17 Oct 2016
A Sepultura song came up randomly on my music player giving me a light bulb moment and the inspiration for this list. If you can think of any add to the comments list or ping me! Note that this isn’t in any way a scientific or extensive list, however, I did find this book in my web travels -> The Berimbau, Soul of Brazilian Music by Eric A Galm, 2010
- Sepultura – Attitude (Roots 1996) – the only Heavy Metal CD I ever bought. It’s really good!
- and Breed Apart from 2:29
- Tom Ze – Feira de Santana (Hips of Tradition 2003) from 7m
- Familia Atlantica – Libation At The Gate Of No Return (Familia Atlantica 2013). Can’t find on YouTube – but here’s a sample I found.
- Leo Leobons – Babá Didé (Babá Didé 2014)
- A classic song about the berimbau (Berimbau – Baden Powell – Vinícius de Moraes). The original didn’t have a berimbau in it, but I found this version that does.
- Same song again, but this time with Nara Leao. I like her so I’m including her on the list. There are 100s of versions/interpretations of this song, this is one of my favourites.
- Here’s a remix by Cut Chemist sampling Astrud Gilberto’s version – Cut Chemist – The Garden (2009) – Thanks James!
- Thanks for this one, Paula!
Nelly Furtado – Baby Girl (Whoa Nelly! 2000)
- There’s a whole electronic music ‘sub genre’ with mixed results (literally, lots of remixes :D), start from here, to go down the rabbit hole ->>> Capoeira Extreme
La danza del tezcatlipoca rojo -Ramiro Musotto (Sudaka 2004)
- Thanks for this one, James!
Bibio – K is for Kelson (Mind Bokeh 2011)
- Add n to (X) – All Night Lazy (Loud Like Nature – 2002)
- How could I have forgotten this? I listened to this CD non stop when I was at university, pretty much everyone did, what a classic! I played it yesterday in the car (25/12/2016), the whole album still sounds unique. Leftfield – Afro-left (Leftism 1995)
- Chico Buarque – Deus lhe Pague (Construção 1971) – One of the best albums ever made!